The AA will make every effort to minimise and mitigate the impact on Chinese White Dolphins (CWD). These include:
- Designating a marine park of about 2,400 hectares to tie in with the full operation of the 3RS for long term conservation of CWD in North Lantau waters.
- Managing the SkyPier high-speed ferries by:
i) Limiting the traffic at the annual daily level of 99 prior to designation of the proposed marine park;
ii) Diverting the high-speed ferries travelling to/from Zhuhai and Macao away from the proposed marine area;
iii) Restricting the speed of those diverted high-speed ferries to 15 knots or below in high CWD abundance areas.
- Linking strategically the existing and planned marine parks and Hong Kong International Airport Approach Area.
- Conducting CWD monitoring to assess the effectiveness of the proposed marine park.
- Skipper training for safe operation of construction vessels around CWDs.
- Setting up a Marine Ecology Enhancement Fund for CWDs within the Hong Kong and the Pearl River Estuary waters.
- Adopting advanced designs and specific construction methods that minimise environmental impact on CWD.
- Complete avoidance of marine percussive piling and avoidance of piling during the peak calving season for CWD.
- Supporting research studies on CWD conservation strategy in Pearl River Estuary.